Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter, by Lisa Patton

As 2011 began, Mom loaned me Lisa Patton's Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter.  Naturally, I read it.  It was funny - laugh-out-loud funny.  Even though the stories are not the same, it reminded me of the movie Hope Floats.  Honestly, I think this is because I envisioned the lead character as being portrayed by Sandra Bullock.

Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter, is, as you may have guessed, about a Southern belle who has been transplanted up North where she must survive the winter.  The story follows Leelee as she follows her husband and his dream of owning a bed and breakfast in Vermont.  The environment and culture shock make Leelee want to turn tail and run home to Memphis, but her steel magnolia spirit pushes her to stay the course.  I found myself cheering for her accomplishments and could easily envision just how one would come to such a place in life.

This is certainly a book to loan to a girlfriend.  It deals with heartbreak, finding yourself in the least likely of places, true friendship, and the ability to find the fun and funny no matter what happens.

Barnes and Noble offers this an an ebook or in print; click here to purchase.  Take a copy with you on your next vacation - you won't regret it!


Let me know what you think of Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter!

Allyson

No comments:

Post a Comment